Saturday, March 7, 2009

Who Am I

God made Adam out of dust,
But thought it best to make me first;
So I was made before the man,
According to God's holy plan.
My whole body God made complete,
Without arms or hands or feet.
My ways and acts did God control,
But in my body He placed no soul.
A living being I became,
And Adam gave to me a name.
Then from his presence I withdrew,
For this man Adam I never knew.

All my Maker's laws I do obey,
And from these laws I never stray.
Thousands of me go in fear,
But seldom on the earth appear.
Later, for a purpose God did see,
He placed a living soul in me.
But that soul of mine God had to claim,
And from me He took it back again.
And when this soul from me had fled,
I was the same as when first made;
Without arms, legs, feet or soul,
I travel on frm pole to pole.

My labors are from day to night,
And to men I once furnished light.
Thousands of people both young and old,
Did by my death bright lights behold.
No right or wrong can I conceive;
The bible and its teachings I can't believe.
The fear of death doesn't trouble me;
Pure happiness I will never see.
And up in Heaven I can never go,
Nor in the grave or Hell below.
So get your Bible and read with care;
You'll find my name recorded there.

7 comments:

JamesCharles said...

Is it the garden in Eden?

JamesCharles said...

Okay, most places gave the answer "whale". That can't be right for the following reasons.

A whale has a soul "psyche" like all beings, just not an eternal one.

Genesis 2:19 suggests the living creatures who received a name of Adam were brought to Adam, so the whale in this would've known Adam in the smallest aspect..


Again, the whole soul thing. Also, does a single whale travel from pole to pole? If so, wow!

As to this statement... it doesn't make sense to me if in reference to a whale. "And to men I once furnished light. Thousands of people both young and old, Did by my death bright lights behold."

So since whale can't be the answer, what is it?

JamesCharles said...

Well, the "lights" thing, my wife informed me, is whale blubber used for candles and fires. Everything else is debatable so, great riddle!

Julie Halliday said...

It is the whale. The living soul it refers to is Jonah being in the the belly of the whale.

Ray Wilkes said...

Yes its a whale and your right Julie the living soul was Jonah in the belly of the whale

JamesCharles said...

I got that, I was just saying that the whale would've known Adam to some extent since all the animals that Adam named were brought to him (so they would've met.) On top of that, the greek word for soul is psyche (mind or conscience). Animals have a psyche, so they have a soul. Their souls just aren't eternal like ours.

So what I'm saying is this riddle is wrong, if you believe the Bible.

StockwellMBC said...

James relax!!!!!!!!!